debian-ddtp and rosetta

Dear Friends,

I worked with otavio to bring the apt implementation of the apt-ddtp
patch to apt-0.6. I think it's in a pretty good state already and the
next step is a translation plattform to make translations of the
descriptions possible (again).

The ubuntu package descriptions are imported into rosetta [1] now
using the po/pot extraction/assemble tools in
michael.vogt@ubuntu.com--2005/apt-ddtp-tools--main--0 [2]

The tools converted the Packages file to a pot file that was then
imported into rosetta. Rosetta then generates po files from the
translations that can be downloaded and converted into a
Translations-$lang file that apt-ddtp understands.

It would make a lot of sense to also import the debian package
descriptions because rosetta is available now and it will know about
already translated strings in one po file and suggest that if the same
string is found again.  I prepared the po/pot files for sarge but I
didn't requested a import yet because I wanted to ask here first.

I read in the archive that you are worried about rosetta because it is
non-free. I talked to Mark about it and he said it will become free
software eventually. There is just no fixed date yet ("when it's
ready" probably). I hope you reconsider using rosetta given that it
will become free software and that all data (pot/po) and most tools
(apt-ddtp-tools, apt-ddtp) are freely available now.

Even if you decide not to use rosetta I hope we can work together in a
friendly and constructive way to share as much translation data as
possible (rosetta can export po files so it should be easy to get any
updated translation from ubuntu).

Cheers,
 Michael

P.S. Please CC me as I'm not subscribed to the debian-i18n list.

[1] http://launchpad.ubuntu.com/rosetta
[2] at http://people.ubuntu.com/~mvo/arch/ubuntu