Re: bug-reporting for non-English users

On Sat, Apr 30, 2005 at 01:39:53PM +0200, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
> Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
> > Jutta Wrage wrote:
>
> > 3. If the maintainer gets a bug report in a language that
> > is not understood by the maintainer, there should be
> > established ways of contacting a translator for the
> > language in question to get the bug report translated. To
> > facilitate this, a form for reporting bugs should indicate
> > the language used for reporting .
>
> The maintainer should _never_ get bug-reports in other
> languages than English.  (at least not in that role)

Why not? Many developers know other languages than English, and
are able to deal with bug reports in other languages.
I think in many cases there will not be a translator system in place for
non-English bug reports and the developer may well get an idea of what
the problem is even if the language is not well understood for him/her.
Also the developer may want to get early info on a bug, so he/she could
be notified by a bug reporting system, when the non-English bug report
is forwarded to a translation team. And the developer could follow up
if the translation team is less responsive.

Best regards
keld