Re: bug-reporting for non-English users

Keld Jørn Simonsen skrev:
> Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:

> > The maintainer should _never_ get bug-reports in other
> > languages than English.  (at least not in that role)
>
> Why not? Many developers know other languages than
> English, and are able to deal with bug reports in other
> languages.

Yes.  But bug-reports are not just for the current
maintainer of a package.  They are also for all the users of
the package.  And maybe also for future maintainers of the
package.

Like there is a good reason that we keep all reference
versions of the texts to be translated in English, there is
also a good reason that we keep the bug-database in English.

> I think in many cases there will not be a translator
> system in place for non-English bug reports and the
> developer may well get an idea of what the problem is even
> if the language is not well understood for him/her.

That may be the case, but how will all the people _using_
the package have a chance to understand the problem.  It is
bad enough for me with bug-reports in languages I am quite
good at.

> Also the developer may want to get early info on a bug, so
> he/she could be notified by a bug reporting system, when
> the non-English bug report is forwarded to a translation
> team. And the developer could follow up if the translation
> team is less responsive.

If the maintainer wants an early warning of bugs in
languages he/she has some kind of understanding of, then
he/she can subscribe to the mailing-lists for bug-report
translation for those languages.  But the report in the
bug-database should still be in English.

Med venlig hilsen,

Jacob
--
"Three can keep a secret if two of them are dead."