Re: D-I progress

Quoting Clytie Siddall (clytie@riverland.net.au):

> However, the list of percentage completion for languages, below the
> news, does not yet include Vietnamese (vi).

This is because Vietnamese is in the list of "prospective" languages,
that is languages that are not yet activated in the installer. This
explains why it does not appear in the rankings.

Indeed, I begin to wonder whether we should add prospective languages
to the list. Dennis, would this be feasible?

We have a quick overview of these languages at
http://people.debian.org/~seppy/d-i/quick-overview-prospective.txt

Dennis, why is level1 listed as 0% for all of these. Maybe are you
pointing to the sarge branch. Could you check?

The next question that comes is probably "when will you activate
prospective languages in D-I" ?

At this moment, this "gates opening" is planned for July 14th, during
Debconf.

We first need to evaluate the impact this will have on D-I images
sizes...which is quite a big work. I will soon test this by opening
the gates for one language, then recompile all packages which belong
to the "initrd" (initial ramdisk image) which is what we have the
biggest size constraints for.

A simple difference will then give me the impact of one new language
to this size and thus allow to calculate whether adding The 5-6
languages that are waiting would break everything or not.

So, be patient..:-)