Re: Improving the translation of questions with choices

Ruben Porras wrote:
> El lun, 25-04-2005 a las 14:04 +0200, Jacob Sparre Andersen escribió:

> > Wouldn't it be better, if the strings _showing_ the
> > choices were excluded from the .pot msgids?  That way
> > there wouldn't be so much doubt - and less risk of
> > errors - when translating.
>
> You can't translate them if they are not in the .pot
> msgids, which is better in this case since we can't
> translate them. I don't understand how this is related to
> the next example.

Sometimes the _keys_ the programs accept are not
translatable, but they are still shown as a part of an
otherwise translatable string in the .pot files.

This results in impractical, unusable or even dangerous user
interfaces, depening on how unfortunate the translation is.

> The best is allowing the translation, but explaining which
> patterns exclude each others.

Right.

> If nobody does it sooner, I'll see if I can fix it myself
> the next week.

Great.

Is this something there is a chance of getting into a
suitable policy document?

Jacob
--
»A corollary of Murphy's law is that duplicate information
 eventually becomes different information.  Putting both in