Locales, Unicode, NLS, i18n????

Dear all,

I'm a Debian user, portuguese by nationality, living in Germany, working and coding in English, speaking additionaly Russian.

Now, I keep everything in the system in english, without special characters of any kind. I want, nonetheless, to be able to read and write in the languages above. I've achieved a reasonable degree of success in setting up the system, for which I'm very grateful to the developers.

Some pieces of software still fail to work as I wish, or have problems coping with all the languages at the same time, and I'd like to understand if the problem is improper setup, or simply unsupported features.

Well, looking through the documents got me even more confused - there appear to be a lot of ways to implement languages other than english, and I'm totally at a loss trying to figure out if, how and why they are related.

Can anyone give some pointers to help clear this out? Links to solid, reference docs would also be appreciated.

Regards,
Renato