Re: Wanted: Keyboard info

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 19:51:46 +0100
Frans Pop <aragorn@tiscali.nl> wrote:

> On Tuesday 11 January 2005 19:27, Tim Dijkstra wrote:
> > I do not know much about the workings of d-i, but shouldn't us_intl
> > be selectable? It is the keymap that is used by 99% of the PC-users
> > in the Netherlands and I imagine many more in the rest in Europe.
>
> Hmmm. Personally I use the standard US keymap as I don't like having
> the dead keys that us_intl has.
> But then, I never use accented characters from console.
>
> Which variant do you use? us-intl.iso15?

I must confess, that I don't use iso15 at the console anymore because
it seems (didn't look really hard) it doesn't come as a high resolution
font.

> What keymap do you use in X?
> Even there I use the default us keymap, but with AltGr defined to
> combine characters. That way I can easily create accented characters,
> but still can easily type ", ' and ~ (which I find I do more often
> than accented characters).
> The disadvantage is that I don't have the Euro properly supported, but
> for me that's a minor annoyance.

I really hate deadkeys, but do want to type the euro characters, that's
why I now have us_intl, with deadkeys and the 'windows key' as compose.:

$ xprop -root _XKB_RULES_NAMES
_XKB_RULES_NAMES(STRING) = "xfree86", "logicdp", "us_intl",
"nodeadkeys", "compose:rwin"

Currently this doesn't exist;) I submitted a whishlist bug (with
very small patch) to xlibs, see http://bugs.debian.org/287900. I imagine
many more people, at least in the Netherlands, want this. If you
agree, maybe we should make a bit more fuss about it...

grts Tim