Re: Locales, Unicode, NLS, i18n????

On Wednesday 12 January 2005 03:55, Renato Serodio wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm a Debian user, portuguese by nationality, living in Germany, working
> and coding in English, speaking additionaly Russian.
>
> Now, I keep everything in the system in english, without special
> characters of any kind. I want, nonetheless, to be able to read and
> write in the languages above. I've achieved a reasonable degree of
> success in setting up the system, for which I'm very grateful to the
> developers.
>
> Some pieces of software still fail to work as I wish, or have problems
> coping with all the languages at the same time, and I'd like to
> understand if the problem is improper setup, or simply unsupported
> features.
this falls under the heading m17n (multilingualization), most programs I'm
aware of don't explicitly support it, though it tends to work if you use
UTF8 or some other charset that has all the necessary symbols, _and_ if all
the languages are left-to-right (or the reverse possibly).

http://www.m17n.org/ is probably the best place to start, to find out more

> Well, looking through the documents got me even more confused - there
> appear to be a lot of ways to implement languages other than english,
> and I'm totally at a loss trying to figure out if, how and why they are
> related.
yes lots of i18n and associated l10n efforts, I have the impression that
m17n is relatively new concern in Free software.

> Can anyone give some pointers to help clear this out? Links to solid,
> reference docs would also be appreciated.
haven't really delfed into this, but searh for things mentioning m17n or
multilingualization, HTH

--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)