Re: File Formats and Names in Bug Reports

On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 02:32:28PM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> > Ok and what about compressing? Should be allowed or shouldn't?
>
> It should be required or forbidden, I don't care which.  If it is required
> you should standardize on one type.

As Denis said. There is no standard for patches in BTS.
In fact some translators could also send you diffs instead of new files.

> > And the most important part... how to ensure that translators will use
> > this convention?
>
> Close their bugs with a "Not usable: nonstandard format" comment when they
> get it wrong.

What about just asking them for correct version?
That would be more polite, and you can always use moreinfo tag.

> > Additional info in reportbug?
>
> I don't care how you handle that.
>
> > Translators often don't know anything about Debian Policy or other
> > developers' documents.
>
> Supply them with tools and tell them what they need to know.

Seems that you don't care anything. You just want to standarize that.
Well it's not so easy. Supply them with tools? What kind of tools?
Some of them uses Emacs, some Vim, some KBabel, some <put whatever po-tool>.

I think the easiest way for you would be preparing some template which you
could send to everyone which sent you "wrong" patches. You can describe
"correct" way there.
Translators community isn't very big, so after some time most of them
should be educated.

Anyway if you need help with your bugreports you *can* always ask for it.
I can happily prepare new pppconfig package with applied int-patches for you.

regards
fEnIo

--
      _      Bartosz Fenski | mailto:fenio@o2.pl | pgp:0x13fefc40 | IRC:fEnIo
    _|_|_     32-050 Skawina - Glowackiego 3/15 - w. malopolskie - Polska