Re: [RANT] French translation for debconf templates stucked at 90% : analysis

Hi,

> > Usually, I am not impressed by the translations because they usually
> > feel clumsy and awkward to me, as if I were explaining the things to a

> They maybe feel clumsy because the german team does not have enough
> manpower...or because you're not used to them. And, believe me, the
> german translation uses far more englishisms than the french one for instance.

The biggest problem in the German translations are the different
politeness forms, and especially that you use a different form for
talking to people on the Internet than you use in DebConf templates.
Thus, a lot of people try to avoid using pronouns altogether, which
leads to a lot of substantivation and concatenation of substantives
(note how the average word length increased over this paragraph; I also
think that looks very clumsy :-P ).

I'm not sure what we are supposed to do about this; personally I'd like
my computer to talk to me in an informal way; a lot of other people
think different. A possible idea would be to have different flavours of
the German translations.

   Simon

--
GPG Fingerprint: 040E B5F7 84F1 4FBC CEAD  ADC6 18A0 CC8D 5706 A4B4