Re: Translating menu entries

Hi, sorry for the delay.

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 11:50:45PM +0100, Morten Brix Pedersen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> * Martin Quinson <mquinson@ens-lyon.fr> [2004-02-12 23:41:47]:
>
> > Is it possible to get the menu translated in several languages, depending on
> > the user setup, using that schema?
>
> No.
>
> The problem is not menu itself, but the window managers. For example,
> when 'update-menus' is run, the blackbox menu-method creates
> /etc/X11/blackbox/blackbox-menu. How should one store multiple locales
> in this file? The native blackbox-menu syntax doesn't support it.
>
> You *will* be able to do it if you run update-menus as a user and have
> repeat_lang="fr" in ~/.menu/menu.h. But it will only work for those
> menu-methods which support userprefix properly. For example, when
> 'update-menus' is run by a user, the file ~/.blackbox/blackbox-menu is
> created, but blackbox doesn't look at that file per default.
>
> So the problem is more with the window managers, as I see it.

Sorry about that, but my opinion is that if we wait for all window managers
to become i18n'ed before i18n'ing menu, then, we'd better say now that we
don't want to have l10n'ed menus within debian.

I'm rather sure that even when blackbox will change to support what we need,
it'll be another old/tiny/crappy WM out there preventing us to enable the
translations of menu.

I guess it would be better if the menu-methods of i18n-ready WM issue a
specific command to menu to tell so. Then, menu would use a new additionnal
set of commands to give the translations.

I'm thinking about something like the db_capb command of debconf, allowing
the postinst script to tell debconf they support backing up to a previous
step.

Thanks, Mt.

--
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
          -- Albert Einstein