Re: Translating menu entries

Hi,

* Martin Quinson <mquinson@ens-lyon.fr> [2004-02-12 23:41:47]:
> On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 10:39:01PM +0100, Morten Brix Pedersen wrote:
> > * Martin Quinson <mquinson@ens-lyon.fr> [2004-02-12 21:28:21]:
> > >  - what is still to be done to get the sections translated?
> >
> > Sections are translated if you put the line:
> >
> >     repeat_lang="LOCALE"
> >
> > into /etc/menu-methods/menu.h.
> >
> > The reason why this isn't enabled by default, is the fact that some
> > window managers doesn't support non-ascii characters in their
> > menu-files.
> >
> > The "outputencoding" variable, which specify the supported encoding by
> > the window manager, has been added for this purpose, but needs to be
> > added for all menu-methods before we can enable translations by default.
> > (outputencoding was recently added to the gnome-panel menu-method).
>
> Is it possible to get the menu translated in several languages, depending on
> the user setup, using that schema?

No.

The problem is not menu itself, but the window managers. For example,
when 'update-menus' is run, the blackbox menu-method creates
/etc/X11/blackbox/blackbox-menu. How should one store multiple locales
in this file? The native blackbox-menu syntax doesn't support it.

You *will* be able to do it if you run update-menus as a user and have
repeat_lang="fr" in ~/.menu/menu.h. But it will only work for those
menu-methods which support userprefix properly. For example, when
'update-menus' is run by a user, the file ~/.blackbox/blackbox-menu is
created, but blackbox doesn't look at that file per default.

So the problem is more with the window managers, as I see it.

  - Morten.

--
http://mbrix.dk/