Re: [I18n]Re: Thai XIM

Hi,

At Mon, 26 Nov 2001 11:04:55 +1100,
Chanop Silpa-Anan wrote:

> If you launch an application with LANG=th_TH providing that you have
> th_TH locales support from the locales package, you could then use xkb
> to input thai character. Since I use only Thai keybord, I have my xkb
> set up in XF86Config. You can use "setxkbmap th" to set up the keyboard
> too. Use recent XFree86 (since 4.1), of course. KDE also has a panel for
> setting up keyboard map.
>
> The default key map change between thai and english is alt-lshift for
> english (first iso group), and alt-rshift for thai (last iso group).

Thanks!  I wanted to know this sort of information.

I am now participating in development of "mlterm" (multi-lingual
terminal) which supports various encodings including TIS-620 and
UTF-8.  The latest version of mlterm can use "tis620.2533-1",
"tis620.2529-1", or "iso10646-1" fonts and supports combining
characters.  I hope the software is useful for Thai people.
I tested Thai input using "setxkbmap th" and it worked for both
of TIS-620 and UTF-8.  However, since I am not a native Thai
speaker nor can I speak Thai at all, I cannot judge the software
is really useful for native Thai people.

Thus, I'd like some Thai people to test "mlterm" and read reports
from them.  Debian package of mlterm version 1.9.47 will available
in a few days (I uploaded it yesterday).  The upstream web page of
mlterm is:

    http://mlterm.dnsalias.net/ken/mlterm/mlterm.shtml

Note that "tis620-0" fonts are not supported yet.

Of course I'd like to read reports from people from other countries.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/
"Introduction to I18N"  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-i18n/