Re: Integrating Rxvt's

Hi,

At Sun, 25 Mar 2001 20:11:30 +1000,
Chanop Silpa-Anan <chanop@debian.org> wrote:

> The Thai patch for aterm was originally written by one of my friend at
> purdue. He tried to get to to upstream but never maanaged to do it. So I
> fix the patch a tad plus a prelim patch for /debian to Jordi.

Oh, it is your work!  Very good!  Did your friend failed to integrate
his patch into upstream (aterm)?  I think you will successfully integrate
your patch into the CVS version of Rxvt.  IMO, the most important feature
of CVS Rxvt is that a single binary can cover all encodings which previous
Rxvt could support by compilation option.  I think you should also follow
this style, so that you can invoke Rxvt without any configuration in
th_TH locale and you can use TIS-620.  If you are very interested in
Aterm (not Rxvt), I suggest you to port this feature of CVS Rxvt into
Aterm, though I don't know about upstream developer(s) of Aterm.

> BTW, I have a working trxvt (Thai rxvt) which I'm using everyday. It's not
> yet perfect ATM due to my time constrain. The only bug is the redrawing of
> the character when moving the cursor back on the same line.

I cannot test Thai behavior in detail.  IMO, the final test must be done
by native speakers.  However, once it will reach to satisfying level,
I recommend you to send it to the upstream.

> I'm not on the rxvt-worker yet. There is a plan among thai linux
> developpers, that we should use proper monospace font for console program.
> ATM, upper and lower level characters have 0 width which is a hack to
> monospace font.

Though I don't know about Thai language, there are several Thai
TIS-620 X fonts (xfonts-thai-*) for Debian.  These packages are
maintained by you, aren't they?  You mean, these fonts are not
very good?  (xiterm-thai use them.)  You may also be interested in
international xterm
( http://www.xfree86.org/pipermail/i18n/2001-March/001380.html )
which is sensible to LC_CTYPE locale.  (I.e., if you have LANG=th_TH,
invoke xterm and you can use Thai on it, though  there seem several
independent i18n projects of xterm and I don't know which one will
be the orthodox one.)

# Fonts are also problem for Japanese.  You know, Japanese language
# need thousands of characters.  It takes years for voluntary projects
# to design a set of fonts.

---
久保田智広 Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://surfchem0.riken.go.jp/~kubota/