Re: man-db locale support

Michael Sobolev <mss@transas.com> writes:

> On Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 11:24:34PM +0900, Changwoo Ryu wrote:
> > Ulrich Drepper, the glibc maintainer, once said he would enhance
> > gettext so that gettext() convert the codes on the fly.  This is
> > possible because there is an encoding information in the catalog
> > files:
> >
> > $ LANG=ru_RU gettext tar ""
> > Project-Id-Version: tar 1.13.7
> > POT-Creation-Date: 1999-08-23 03:56-0700
> > PO-Revision-Date: 1999-08-23 09:31+08:00
> > Last-Translator: Const Kaplinsky <const@ce.cctpu.edu.ru>
> > Language-Team: Russian <ru@li.org>
> > $
> Such an enhancement would be nice.  But at the moment, this is not implemented,
> is it?  So the messages are to go where they should be.  From other hand, not
> all message catalogs contain this information.  What I want to emphasize is
> that there is no policy at all with respect to what is mandatory in message
> catalogs.

No, it's not implemented.  But in logical the gettext catalogs are
charset independent.  Man pages or catgets catalogs are not.

Well, Korean uses only EUC-KR (or, at least, 99.99%).  But if I live
in a country in which I should use more than 2 encodings, I would urge
Ulrich rather than preparing multiple catalog files.  :)

--
Changwoo Ryu