Re: lang_pl.h and boot-floppies

On Thu, Jul 23, 1998 at 03:15:41PM +0200, piotr.pogorzelski@ippt.gov.pl wrote:

> EZ> What's wrong with moving the %s in the translated string? May you give me
> EZ> an example of a translation that can't be done with that construction?
>
> EZ> The method used is not a hack, is a way to use less disk space and
> EZ> memory.
>
> Maybe I've supplied wrong exaple. But sometimes two %s in a string
> may cause truble, because words order in polish and english differ.

Yes, it's the same in spanish, that's why I try to avoid using several %s
in a string. (For slink we plan to use gettext, that solves that
problem).

> And another exaple
> translating strings separatedly gives:
>
> Installing			Instalujê
> Error reading			B³ad odczytu
> Insert				W³ó¿
> Rescue Disk			dyskietka ratunkowa
>
> But when it comes to combain it into sentences, it should
> look like:
>
> Installing Rescue Disk		Instalujê dyskietkê ratunkow±
> Eror reading Rescue Disk	B³±d odczytu dyskietki ratunkowej
> Insert Rescue disk		W³ó¿ dyskietkê ratunkow±

Oops. I see. But that means more than simply removing the
foo?string1:string2 stuff. That means expanding every %s in translatable
strings (only file names are safe). Oh, well, I will take that into
account for slink.

> EZ> I guess there's no need to rewrite Makefiles or scripts, as the final
> EZ> user won't see them. For the message files I guess the lang/ approach is
> EZ> the best we can get.
>
> It would be nice to keep one debian package boot-floopies,
> and just run
> make polish resc1440.bin
> not to have different packages for different languages.
> But this requires some modifications in makefiles and
> scripts.

That's the goal. We'll do it for slink.

	Thanks,
--