Re: lang_pl.h and boot-floppies

On 23 Jul 1998 piotr.pogorzelski@ippt.gov.pl wrote:

> Maybe I've supplied wrong exaple. But sometimes two %s in a string
> may cause truble, because words order in polish and english differ.

The author of lftp (a ftp client) use a fuction (plural, if I remember
well) that on a local rule basis defined in the message catalog file,
choose the right occurence for the message. He is a Russian and Russian
(as well as the other "similar" languages) have a real complex rule for
decide if a word should in singular or plural form

i.e. the messages are something like

"I have found %d file|files"

And the rules is something like:
=1|0 >1

I.e.: if the argumenent is equal to 1 then use the first occurence ("I
have found 1 file"), otherwise (if the argument is 0 or greater than 1)
use the other.

The occurence should be more than two.

I translated the message catalog in italian, and I think this is a very
elegant way to threat with this case.

Sorry, for my poor English

	Giovanni

  *****    Giovanni Bortolozzo  <borto at dei.unipd.it>    ******
Information is not knowledge, Knowledge is not wisdom, Wisdom is not truth,
Truth is not beauty, Beauty is not love, Love is not music, Music is the best.
Frank Zappa (1940-1993) 'sigh!!' ITALIAN LINUX: http://www.pluto.linux.it/ildp