Re: fixing backspace and delete

On 21 Apr, Philip Hands wrote:
>> X is not the problem, whether the keymap is changed or not. However, as
>> mentioned before, while you can get every single application to work the
>> way you propose, the problem is to get them all to work at the same
>> time. Try getting joe, pico and pine to work, on the console, and in an
>> xterm.
>
> OK, my keyboard mapping is currently a total mess (has been for most of a
> year for various reasons ;-), so I might as well try to get this sorted out.
>
> Starting from the point that I'm going to (on the console) have [<---]
> generate ASCII DEL, and [Delete] generate <ESC>[3~, please tell me what fails
> to work for you.

At the moment _everything_ works (I admit I don't use apps which need
Ctrl H for something else then backspace), but I have remapped the keys.
	In my previous mail I was referring to a quick, half-hearted
attempt to get the keys right without remapping (which would be a better
way, for several reasons, I agree). I remember I got into problems with
joe, since joe depended on the Xresources
<Key>Delete:        string(0x1b) string("[3~")\n\
line. However, this broke pine (which apparently can be fixed) and
pico. Anyway, before I confuse you any more I'll have a go at fixing it
(after work;-).

Regards, Anne