Re: fixing backspace and delete

anne@ibbnet.nl wrote:
> X is not the problem, whether the keymap is changed or not. However, as
> mentioned before, while you can get every single application to work the
> way you propose, the problem is to get them all to work at the same
> time. Try getting joe, pico and pine to work, on the console, and in an
> xterm. I can't, since joe relies on xterm's Xresources which
> unfortunately break pico/pine. While delete in xterm can be configured
> without Xresources, this breaks joe. On the console everything can be
> easily made to work, no problem. Actually, if we can find a way to work
> around this problem it would be the easiest way to go. A possibility is
> to use a different joerc dependent on TERM, but joe doesn't seem to
> have an option for specifying an alternate joerc (even if it could it
> would be an extremely ugly workaround). Maybe the JOETERM variable can
> be used. Can anyone look at this?
AFAICT, vim has the same problem. Currently, you can make it work correctly
only in one of xterm/console. If you "repair" one, the other will fail. This
is very annoying.

If your proposal manages to get this to work, I am all for it. BTW, this is
really a policy issue and should probably be moved to debian-policy. Also,
was it now one of hamm's release objectives to have a working and
consistent keyboard configuration?

Thanks,
Luis.
--
Luis Francisco Gonzalez <luisgh@cogs.susx.ac.uk>
PGP Fingerprint = F8 B1 13 DE 22 22 94 A1  14 BE 95 8E 49 39 78 76