Re: Confusion about where to go in Hurd

On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 10:35:33PM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 01:22:14PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > so my research into the state of Hurd is making me more and more
> > confused. I seem to gather from:
> > http://hurd.gnufans.org/bin/view/Hurd/NextHurd that some progress is
> > being made to get Hurdng going, though the mailing list archives seem
> > to be still discussing design issues rather than actual
> > development.
>
> Right.

okay.

> > meanwhile, it seems that debian has the only working hurd branch at
> > the moment. But its running gnumach and therefor seems to be a deadend
> > what with most of the dev action at hurdng.
>
> Most of the dev action is targetted at Hurd/Mach currently.

okay.

> > the upshot of all this is that I'm left not knowing where to go. I'm
> > quite sure that I can get a basic hurd install going using the debian
> > stuff, but what good is that if its to be abandoned at some point? or
> > will the porting to a new microkernel and the architecture changes
> > discussed about hurdng (over at l4-hurd@gnu.org) be more or less
> > compatible with the debian stuff?
>
> Debian will continue the Hurd/Mach port until a viable alternative
> exists, which will likely take a few years, if there will ever be one.
>
> As nobody knows how Hurd/NG will look like, a transition plan cannot be
> made at this point, and whether or not a Hurd/Mach installation can be
> migrated over is unknown.

okay. this all makes sense

> Do you plan to help the Hurd development?  Unless you are a microkernel
> researcher, you can ignore Hurd/NG for the time being.

I am not a microkernel researcher. Ultimately, I'd love to help with
Hurd in some meaningful way, but my code-fu is rusty beyond belief. So
I'm planning to get a viable installation running and just start
poking around and reading some code. This is hopefully a long-term
project for me in a low level way, but i really can't estimate what if
any use I could ever be. I expect to read a lot of code and scratch my
head alot and just see what happens.

Thanks for the clarification... I now have a better grasp of the state of it
all.