Re: Confusion about where to go in Hurd

On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 01:22:14PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> so my research into the state of Hurd is making me more and more
> confused. I seem to gather from:
> http://hurd.gnufans.org/bin/view/Hurd/NextHurd that some progress is
> being made to get Hurdng going, though the mailing list archives seem
> to be still discussing design issues rather than actual
> development.

Right.

> meanwhile, it seems that debian has the only working hurd branch at
> the moment. But its running gnumach and therefor seems to be a deadend
> what with most of the dev action at hurdng.

Most of the dev action is targetted at Hurd/Mach currently.

> the upshot of all this is that I'm left not knowing where to go. I'm
> quite sure that I can get a basic hurd install going using the debian
> stuff, but what good is that if its to be abandoned at some point? or
> will the porting to a new microkernel and the architecture changes
> discussed about hurdng (over at l4-hurd@gnu.org) be more or less
> compatible with the debian stuff?

Debian will continue the Hurd/Mach port until a viable alternative
exists, which will likely take a few years, if there will ever be one.

As nobody knows how Hurd/NG will look like, a transition plan cannot be
made at this point, and whether or not a Hurd/Mach installation can be
migrated over is unknown.

Do you plan to help the Hurd development?  Unless you are a microkernel
researcher, you can ignore Hurd/NG for the time being.

Michael