Confusion about where to go in Hurd

Hi list,

so my research into the state of Hurd is making me more and more
confused. I seem to gather from:
http://hurd.gnufans.org/bin/view/Hurd/NextHurd that some progress is
being made to get Hurdng going, though the mailing list archives seem
to be still discussing design issues rather than actual
development. But I only scanned quickly.

meanwhile, it seems that debian has the only working hurd branch at
the moment. But its running gnumach and therefor seems to be a deadend
what with most of the dev action at hurdng.

the upshot of all this is that I'm left not knowing where to go. I'm
quite sure that I can get a basic hurd install going using the debian
stuff, but what good is that if its to be abandoned at some point? or
will the porting to a new microkernel and the architecture changes
discussed about hurdng (over at l4-hurd@gnu.org) be more or less
compatible with the debian stuff?

Your thoughts and suggestions are welcome