Re: /usr -> .

   So the problem remains : if you put /bin first in your PATH, you'll
   have configure discover 'gzip' in /bin (which is the right thing)
   and 'pager' in /bin (which is the wrong thing), and if you put
   /usr/bin first you'll have the same problem the other way around.

I see that I misunderstood the inital problem.  I.e. it isn't becuase
/bin/pager is wrong (it is correct infact), but because of the
seperation of /usr/bin and /bin on Debian GNU/Hurd.

Oh well...