/usr -> . (was: [ debian-hurd-Bugs-301806 ] man-db package broken with a separate /usr)

[ Moved to the Debian GNU/Hurd mailing list. ]

> The hurd-i386 man-db package is broken when you have a separate
> /usr directory, which is the default for Debian GNU/Hurd. Here is why :
> [...]

> The man-db package must have been built with a /usr
> -> . symlink and a PATH where /usr/bin appeared before
> /bin (which is the default for Debian).

AFAIK this is not the first time for something like this to happen.

I strongly suggest to remove the '/usr -> .' symlink from the Debian
GNU/Hurd system.
Having this symlink (and having no /usr anymore, eventually) is suited
for the GNU system, but not for Debian.

Going further, I once also wanted to eliminate to separate /usr/X11R6/
hierarchy and thus made a '/X11R6 -> .' symlink before installing any
X-packages.
I wanted to eliminate the separate /bin and /sbin hierarchies and thus
moved /sbin/* into /bin/ and put up a '/sbin -> bin' symlink.

libfreetype6 broke because of having
#v+
# Remove leftovers from some old version of XFree86 package
rm -f /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.so*
#v-
in it's postinst script, which deleted /lib/libfreetype.so* on my system.

I rebuilt a perl package and got '#!/sbin/perl' as the first line in the
perl scripts.  (I still had /sbin in $PATH and the configuration script
chose to use the last interpreter it found, which happened to be
/sbin/perl).

So, IMHO, Debian is not prepared to use any other layout of the file
system, other than the standard Debian one.

And I doubt that anyone will volunteer to fix all the postinst,
configure, etc. scripts that are currently "broken".

Regards,
 Thomas