Re: /usr -> .

Hiran Watson wrote:
This is probably a dumb question, but currently where is /usr a symlink to? AFAIK, on my Debian GNU/Linux system, /usr is its own dir, and not a symlink.

As Thomas pointed out earlier, it's specific to the GNU system, and
that's where Debian GNU/Hurd took it from. The default for Debian
GNU/Hurd is to have a separate /usr, though.

(See http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/faq.en.html#q1-7 for the
  reasons behind the symlink.)

Also, with my limited knowledge, would a hard link work instead of a soft one (symlink)? Thanks for the info.

Hard links are not allowed for directories. But even if they were, I
don't see how that would solve anything.

Cheers,

--
Manuel Menal