Re: blank screen after executing console command...

On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 10:48:48AM +0200, Marco Gerards wrote:
> Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org> writes:
> > Interesting, I was never able to get back to the Mach console once the
> > Hurd console blanked.  Perhaps a matter of option ordering (again).
>
> The order of the options is not the problem.  You load the drivers in
> any order.  If there is a problem with the drivers when they are not
> working when loading them in a specific order, it is a bug.

Sure.  It just happened to me once that loading the mouse driver first
solved the 'starting the Hurd console make the system hang' issue.

> > Did somebody file a bug in upstream's bug tracker for this?  AFAICT,
> > this seems to be one of the graver issues impacting users currently, as
> > so far we have no known work-around and it deprives them from running X.
>
> Not that I know of.  Please file bugs.  Currently the Hurd CVS and the
> Hurd package of Debian are in sync for libcons, console and
> console-client.  If they are bugs for the console (or something
> closely related), please assign them to me.  If no one tells me about
> bugs, I won't fix them.  If no one files the bugs properly I will most
> likely forget about them.

I will file a bug upstream soonish.

There are subtle issues with loading the mouse driver which make it
blank-freeze the console on startup on some machines (addings some
printfs in the code made them vanish).  Not sure whether they pertain to
the mouse repeater specifically or the pc_mouse driver in general.  But
the console apparently never blank-freezes on startup if one decides not
to start the mouse driver/repeater.

Michael

--
Michael Banck