Re: /hurd/kbd missing or deprecated?

Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org> writes:

> On Wed, Jul 07, 2004 at 12:22:13PM +0200, Marco Gerards wrote:
>> Not yet, but I will have a look at the problem.  Does this only happen
>> with the VESA driver?
>
> Well, I can only speak for myself. I experienced this on VESA (as seems
> everybody else has who runs the vesa driver), but the ati driver was
> fine. Not sure about others.

I just tested this on my Debian GNU/Hurd installation and I
experienced the same problems.  However, I did not have any problems
when using the "nv" driver instead of the vesa driver.

The same happens when using the mach console.  I have tested this
using connecting remotely to my GNU/Hurd box and executing:

# console -d pc_kbd --repeat=/dev/kbd /dev/vcs
and on another console:

# X
ctrl-alt-bs

And the mach console was lose its screen contents as well.

The only difference between the mach console and the Hurd console is
how memory is used.  IIRC the vga driver switches memory banks.  I
assume the VESA driver sets up the console to use the incorrect
memory.  That is the main reason why the impact is that ight on the
Hurd console.

Perhaps this can be fixed by making the console restore the hardware
state before X is started and setting up the hardware after X quits.
IMHO this is not the right thing to do, unless this is what X expects,
but I seriously doubt that.

--
Marco