Re: newbie trying to get network to work

Marco Gerards wrote:
Bertrik Sikken <bertrik@zonnet.nl> writes:
I just installed the debian K6 hurd mini ISO by following the
Debian GNU/Hurd installation guide. Installation was pretty
smooth up to the point where I configure the network.

As per the guide, I typed
settrans -fgap /servers/socket/2 /hurd/pfinet -i eth0 -a <my-ip> -g
<gateway> -m <netmask>
but this resulted in
"pfinet:../../pfinet/ethernet.c:249: setup_ethernet_device:
Assertion 'netstat.header_format=1' failed.
Settrans: /hurd/pfinet: Translator died"

If I understand it correctly, this means that eth0 is not an ethernet
device... Of course this is a bug, but I would need more information
to tell what it is.  I doubt this is worthwhile to investigate, a
recompile (or Alfred's patch to update the drivers) could fix this.

Ok, the exact lines relating to eth devices in the kernel log are:
"eth0: UNKNOWN at 0xa800 (PCI bus 0, device 15), h/w address 00:80:48:b3:28:28,
eth0: Cannot find correct chipset for SROM decoding!
3c59x.c:v0.99L 5/28/99 Donald Becker http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html
0 3c515 cards found.
eth1: D-Link DE-600 pocket adapter: not at I/O 0x378.
D-Link DE-620 pocket adapter not identified in the printer port"

What is Alfred's patch and where can I find it?

<snip>

Should I get the source from gnu.org or do I need
custom sources from debian, or should i get a CVS version?

Use the CVS version.  Make sure you are using the `gnumach-1-branch'
branch.  After checking out the sourcecode, apply this patch:

http://savannah.gnu.org/patch/download.php?item_id=2507&item_file_id=2821

Regenerate configure (using autoreconf) and compile.  You don't need a
crosscompiler for this, GNU Mach is just a kernel and therefore the OS
you use to compile from is not relevant.

I got the cvs version tagged 'gnumach-1-branch' and the patch
applied cleanly.
Autoreconf responded with "autoreconf-2.5x: 'configure.ac' or
'configure.in' is required", so I just did autoconf instead.
Now ./configure complained about a missing config.h.in.
Running autoheader seems to fix this and ./configure works.

Now make tells me it misses 'mig'. So I got mig1.3 and tried
to compile it. This gives me a missing mach/message.h file
(make is trying to execute "gcc -S -x c -o cpu.symo cpu.symc"),
same with the CVS version of mig.

Sorry for possibly asking a trivial question, but how do I go
on next? Are there patches for mig too that I need to apply?
Or options I need to pass to ./configure?

Kind regards,
Bertrik