newbie trying to get network to work

Hi all,

I just installed the debian K6 hurd mini ISO by following the
Debian GNU/Hurd installation guide. Installation was pretty
smooth up to the point where I configure the network.

As per the guide, I typed
settrans -fgap /servers/socket/2 /hurd/pfinet -i eth0 -a <my-ip> -g <gateway> -m <netmask>
but this resulted in
"pfinet:../../pfinet/ethernet.c:249: setup_ethernet_device:
Assertion 'netstat.header_format=1' failed.
Settrans: /hurd/pfinet: Translator died"

My ethernet card has an Intel 21143 Fast ethernet (aka tulip)
chip. I didn's see any message about this card being detected
during boot (but the boot screen scrolls a bit too fast to
be sure it wasn't there)

What can I do?
Do I need to compile a new kernel?
If so, can I compile from inside the Hurd environment or do
you recommend a cross-compile?
(I'm running Mandrake Linux 10.0 (and windows xp))
Should I get the source from gnu.org or do I need
custom sources from debian, or should i get a CVS version?

Kind regards,
Bertrik Sikken