Re: newbie trying to get network to work

Citeren Marco Gerards <metgerards@student.han.nl>:
> Bertrik Sikken <bertrik@zonnet.nl> writes:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I just installed the debian K6 hurd mini ISO by following the
> > Debian GNU/Hurd installation guide. Installation was pretty
> > smooth up to the point where I configure the network.
> >
> > As per the guide, I typed
> > settrans -fgap /servers/socket/2 /hurd/pfinet -i eth0 -a <my-ip> -g
> > <gateway> -m <netmask>
> > but this resulted in
> > "pfinet:../../pfinet/ethernet.c:249: setup_ethernet_device:
> > Assertion 'netstat.header_format=1' failed.
> > Settrans: /hurd/pfinet: Translator died"
>
> If I understand it correctly, this means that eth0 is not an ethernet
> device... Of course this is a bug, but I would need more information
> to tell what it is.  I doubt this is worthwhile to investigate, a
> recompile (or Alfred's patch to update the drivers) could fix this.
>
> > My ethernet card has an Intel 21143 Fast ethernet (aka tulip)
> > chip. I didn's see any message about this card being detected
> > during boot (but the boot screen scrolls a bit too fast to
> > be sure it wasn't there)

I was not entirely correct. The ethernet chip is a DEC21143 (not intel)
(class: 0200, device 1011:0019 (rev 41), subsystem: 11f6:0313)

> cat /dev/klog > /tmp/klog
> Now wait a few seconds and press ctrl-c.
> Now you can lookup the messages in /tmp/klog.

Ok, I see that is was actually detected but apparently not initialised
properly. There is a message indicating the chip as UNKNOWN, yet it is
able to get the MAC address of the card.

> > What can I do?
> > Do I need to compile a new kernel?
>
> If the card is not detected (and if it is supported), better do this.
>
> > If so, can I compile from inside the Hurd environment or do
> > you recommend a cross-compile?
> > (I'm running Mandrake Linux 10.0 (and windows xp))
> > Should I get the source from gnu.org or do I need
> > custom sources from debian, or should i get a CVS version?
>
> Use the CVS version.  Make sure you are using the `gnumach-1-branch'
> branch.  After checking out the sourcecode, apply this patch:
>
> http://savannah.gnu.org/patch/download.php?item_id=2507&item_file_id=2821
>
> Regenerate configure (using autoreconf) and compile.  You don't need a
> crosscompiler for this, GNU Mach is just a kernel and therefore the OS
> you use to compile from is not relevant.

Ok, I'll try that.
Thanks for the quick reply.

Bertrik

Zon Gratis ADSL. De voordelen van gratis internet met de snelheid van
ADSL. Zonder abonnementskosten en zonder vast contract. Je betaalt
alleen voor de tijd online. Nu zonder aansluitkosten en met gratis
modem. Bestel snel op zonnet.nl.