Re: newbie trying to get network to work

Bertrik Sikken <bertrik@zonnet.nl> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I just installed the debian K6 hurd mini ISO by following the
> Debian GNU/Hurd installation guide. Installation was pretty
> smooth up to the point where I configure the network.
>
> As per the guide, I typed
> settrans -fgap /servers/socket/2 /hurd/pfinet -i eth0 -a <my-ip> -g
> <gateway> -m <netmask>
> but this resulted in
> "pfinet:../../pfinet/ethernet.c:249: setup_ethernet_device:
> Assertion 'netstat.header_format=1' failed.
> Settrans: /hurd/pfinet: Translator died"

If I understand it correctly, this means that eth0 is not an ethernet
device... Of course this is a bug, but I would need more information
to tell what it is.  I doubt this is worthwhile to investigate, a
recompile (or Alfred's patch to update the drivers) could fix this.

> My ethernet card has an Intel 21143 Fast ethernet (aka tulip)
> chip. I didn's see any message about this card being detected
> during boot (but the boot screen scrolls a bit too fast to
> be sure it wasn't there)

cat /dev/klog > /tmp/klog
Now wait a few seconds and press ctrl-c.
Now you can lookup the messages in /tmp/klog.

> What can I do?
> Do I need to compile a new kernel?

If the card is not detected (and if it is supported), better do this.

> If so, can I compile from inside the Hurd environment or do
> you recommend a cross-compile?
> (I'm running Mandrake Linux 10.0 (and windows xp))
> Should I get the source from gnu.org or do I need
> custom sources from debian, or should i get a CVS version?

Use the CVS version.  Make sure you are using the `gnumach-1-branch'
branch.  After checking out the sourcecode, apply this patch:

http://savannah.gnu.org/patch/download.php?item_id=2507&item_file_id=2821

Regenerate configure (using autoreconf) and compile.  You don't need a
crosscompiler for this, GNU Mach is just a kernel and therefore the OS
you use to compile from is not relevant.

--
Marco