Re: crosshurd

Dan Woodard <dan@hazard.com> writes:

> I installed the latest (unstable) version of crosshurd and was able to
> boot and run native-install twice, but my ethernet adapter (RTL8139) was
> not recognized.  Do I have to recompile Mach from source with the driver
> active?

This driver is enabled.  The problem might be that this version your
rtl8139 is not(yet) supported.  There is a patch that might fix your
problem.

Is there some debian hacker willing to build a GNU Mach package with
Alfred's patches included?  I will have another look at my autoconf
patch, to see if I can fix the current problems without changing that
much.  Marcus told me that adding extra drivers to gnumach-1-branch
(upstream CVS) is not a problem.  This is something that is not hard
to do, so I will do that soon.

> Sorry to be so uninformed, but do drivers have to be compiled into the
> Mach microkernel binary file?  If so, how is this different from the Linux
> kernel?

It works just like linux, although GNU Mach can't load modules.  Use
the right arguments for configure (--enable-rtl8139, for example) and
run make.

> i.e., from the gnu.org page on Hurd:
>
> "It is possible to develop and test new Hurd kernel components without
> rebooting the machine (not even accidentally).  Running your own kernel
> components doesn't interfere with other users, and so no special system
> privileges are required."

This is partially true.  With kernel components the person who wrote
this meant: `components that normally run in kernelspace'. (Well, that
is what I think ;))

An example is ext2fs, it runs in userspace.  You can implement extra
filesystems (translators) as user and run them as a user.  Better
examples are `ftpfs' and `pfinet' (the TCP/IP stack).

In the far(?) future L4 will be used as microkernel.  It does not have
userspace drivers, etc.

--
Marco