Re: X-free libraries

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 08:53:33PM +0200, Marco Gerards wrote:
> > Well, there's no source for the xfree86_4.3.0-0pre1v3.1 hurd-i386 binary
> > packages on gnuab, that's why I never tried to build them. However,
> > there are source package files for the 0pre1v5+rmh.1 GNU/k*BSD packages
> > and the ChangeLog suggests that they include the GNU/Hurd fixes as well:
>
> Why is there a need to rebuild them?  Can't those packages be used?
>
> So what I am wondering is:
>
> - Why don't those packages work (errors?).

The problem is that the architecture independant (*_all.deb) packages
generated by xfree86 are out of sync with the architecture dependant ones
(*_hurd-i386.deb). Apt will always use the latest arch-indep packages, and
if the package relationships are incompatible with older versions this can
lead to things like xlibs being uninstallable on i386-gnu.

> - If those work why not use them (now it is clean were the source code
>   can be found, right?)?

Yes. Use the latest source from gnuab. IIRC xfree86_4.3.0.orig.tar.gz is
missing but you can get it from official debian archive, it's only the
.diff.gz and .dsc that are different.

> - If I would rebuild those packages, won't the same problems show up?

Not the same, but a similar one. Again, 4.3.0-0pre1v5+rmh.1 is out of sync
with the latest version in debian and you'll have some trouble installing
xlibs-dev. This can be easily worked around though (by using older arch-indep
packages from http://snapshot.debian.org/). The same workaround probably
works for the _current_ i386-gnu build of xfree86, I just haven't tried.

Btw, I can upload your binaries to gnuab if you like, provided that they are
signed by your gpg key and that there's a trust path from debian keyring to
your key (http://www.debian.org/events/keysigning).

--
Robert Millan

"[..] but the delight and pride of Aule is in the deed of making, and in the
thing made, and neither in possession nor in his own mastery; wherefore he
gives and hoards not, and is free from care, passing ever on to some new work."

 -- J.R.R.T., Ainulindale (Silmarillion)