Re: X-free libraries

On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 12:50:09PM +0200, M. Gerards wrote:
> Quoting Philip Charles <philipc@copyleft.co.nz>:
>
> > The problem I am facing at the moment is that I will need to do some major
> > butchery to the main archive before the earlier version of XFree will
> > build onto the CDs.
>
> Can't someone rebuild the XFree packages?  There is a patch from Robert than
> can be found on gnuab.

Well, there's no source for the xfree86_4.3.0-0pre1v3.1 hurd-i386 binary
packages on gnuab, that's why I never tried to build them. However,
there are source package files for the 0pre1v5+rmh.1 GNU/k*BSD packages
and the ChangeLog suggests that they include the GNU/Hurd fixes as well:

Changes:
 xfree86 (4.3.0-0pre1v5+rmh.1) unreleased; urgency=low
 .
   * Misc fixes for GNU and GNU/k*BSD.

Robert, are all the fixes for GNU/Hurd you are aware of in that source
package?

Anyway, I don't have time right now to build them, but it is definitely
on my TODO list for next month, if harddisk space permits.

> I'm not a debian developer, and I do not have the experience and time to do this.

It boils down to installing the build-essential package, the
Build-Depends of the xfree86 source package and then running
'dpkg-buildpackage -B -us -uc'. If that yields a good build, I can sign
the resulting .changes file and we can upload them to ftp.gnuab.org.

> But if someone will do this, I will try to help with problems that might show up.

We should sort out all the necessary fixes for the various X sources. Of
course, Debian should sort out what way to go WRT X first I guess. But
at this point, just having *any* reasonably uptodate X packages would be
alright, we can get back in sync with the main Debian archive later on.

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Debian Developer