Re: GNU/Hurd in severe need for documentation.

[...bunch of stuff about the aweful state about documentation in the
 Hurd, and releated projects...]

   Well, I'm not only complaining. And I understand that most of the
   Hurd developpers are more interested in hacking than in providing
   newbies with help.

If this was true, then there would be decent documentation around.  So
one can only assume that we are more interested in helping newbies
then hacking... :-)

   So, what I propose is to help reorganize the Hurd end-user
   documentations, adding links and suppressing redundancy between
   them.  Do you actually need somebody for this role ?  Those
   responsible for the different sources of documentation about the
   Hurd, are you willing to help me in this task ? Of course, you'd
   have to answer all my idiot questions ;)

YES!!!

It might be nice to actually move all documentation concerning the
Hurd into the reference manual; and split it up into two bits,
technical and less-technical.

   - Many users need pppoe to connect to the internet today. I
     understand you can't use pppoe with Debian GNU/Hurd yet. Is is
     true ? What's missing to get it working ?

Working serial drivers.

   - Is there a current (ie working with bochs 2) detailed howto for
     running GNU/Hurd with bochs ? Are there Hurd images for Bochs
     somewhere ?

Several, just check the archives.  May people have written howtos on
how to create them, including me, and Robert put up a Debian GNU/Hurd
image on the Bochs home page.  But last time I checked it had a really
weird name, and was impossible to find...  But it should be there.

   - Is there an hardware compatibility list ? All those I could find
     were said to be out of date, like
     http://www.urbanophile.com/arenn/hacking/hurd/hurd-hardware.html,
     which was redirecting the reader to a non-existing page.

Jim Morrison made one, but I can't find the link to it sadly.  You can
check the source for GNU Mach to get a idea of what hardware is
supported though.

   >From what I saw, there are 3 main sources of info for the Hurd :
   - http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/
   - http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd-cd
   - http://hurd.gnufans.org/

   Are there others I still haven't found ?

Not really, most of the links you noted are linked already from
http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/.  And thats where this should be, so
if you find anything missing, web-hurd is the place to complain
at. :-)

Cheers!