Re: MD5 passwords

   Why does Debian GNU/Hurd use DES encrypted passwords instead of MD5
   encrypted passwords?

Probobly cause we don't have PAM support yet, and Debian GNU/Linux
uses that to enable/disable MD5 passwords for chpasswd.

   I have tested MD5 passwords on the Hurd (I've copied a /etc/shadow
   entry from my GNU/Linux installation to my /etc/shadow on Debian
   GNU/Hurd and logged in). This works. libshouldbeinlibc wasn't
   written to support this(I assume because of the crypt prototype
   there), but it supports it because of the way glibc works.

libshouldbeinlibc (in reality idvec-verify.c) doesn't have anything
todo with the generation of passwords, thats all crypt()'s doing.  And
crypt() as you say does support both MD5 and and old crypt passwords
(it uses a salt to figure out which one to use, see libc documentation
for details).

   I wonder if no-one knew it works (some people claimed it didn't
   works and because of that I had a look) or if it wasn't enabled
   because I'm stupid and don't understand debian.

It wasn't enabled because there is no "sane" way of enableing it right
now, you could try port PAM to GNU/Hurd (the correct way of fixing
this), or hack chpasswd to use MD5 passwords as default (the wrong
way, and it would probobly violate some standard out there)