MD5 passwords

Hi,

Why does Debian GNU/Hurd use DES encrypted passwords instead of MD5
encrypted passwords?

I have tested MD5 passwords on the Hurd (I've copied a /etc/shadow
entry from my GNU/Linux installation to my /etc/shadow on Debian
GNU/Hurd and logged in). This works. libshouldbeinlibc wasn't written
to support this(I assume because of the crypt prototype there), but it
supports it because of the way glibc works.

I wonder if no-one knew it works (some people claimed it didn't works
and because of that I had a look) or if it wasn't enabled because I'm
stupid and don't understand debian.

Thanks,
Marco