Re: [OT]: GNU/Hurd ready for a daily use (?)

Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:

> --=-=-=
>
> Robert Millan <zeratul2@wanadoo.es> writes:
>
> On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 10:36:33AM +0200, Xavier Maillard wrote:
> > >  Hi,
> > >=20=20
> > >  I currently use GNU/Hurd at home but only to test few of my
> > >  developments on this platform.
> > >=20=20
> > >  Till now, I didn't think to switch to GNU/hurd definetely. I have
> > >  reached a point where I would like to use only GNU/Hurd at home. Do
> > >  you honestly think this is a crazy idea or does anybody has
> > >  definetely choose to use GNU/Hurd for daily tasks (mail,
> > >  programming, web, multimedia, ...).
> > >=20=20
> > >  I really need feedback on that ;)
> >=20=20
> >  It depends on what you need. If you need GNOME/KDE or stability or
> >  good performance then GNU is not ready for you yet. As for web and
> >  multimedia we don't have any sound support and we still don't have a
> >  ported major browser (Mozilla, Galeon, etc)
>
> The main purpose would be to have my current real simple setup
> (X+Ion+zsh+Emacs+gcc) into the GNU.
>
> And maybe I could begin to help in making
> development/packaging/whatever.
>
> All I need is at leat a shell, emacs (and stuff that comes with it:
> bbdb, gnus, ...) and also a simple w3m (my main browser here).
>
> Is it possible then ??

There was someone this list who tried to do thisq, but I think he
ended up giving up.  That said, if you really want to try to run Hurd
as you main OS and you really only need a shell and emacs then I'd bet
you would be able to get by fairly well.  Not sure how well w3m works
(never tied that).  I haven't heard any disk corruption stories in a
long time, but if you do any significant amount of work you should be
extra careful to back it up somewhere.

Derek