weird linker problem (was: Re: Must NOT link with pthread)

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 05:15:59PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 10:59:50AM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
> > my apologises, Marcus. i'll follow your suggestion next time.
>
> It never hurts to ask if you see something unusual.  Any unexplained
> difference between GNU/Linux and GNU/Hurd is by definition unusual :).

I _did_ ask (in one of the *-hurd mls). then two people responded with
opposite opinions on wether it's a system bug or a bug in the package. the
discussion didn't get any further.

> > xfree86: see http://people.debian.org/~rmh/xfree86/glxinfo-makefile.diff (applied)
> > xft2: bug #185536
> > gtkgl2: bug #186760
> > libgcrypt: bug #187309
> > [...] (and more i forgot and are already "fixed")
B>
> I think that 185536 (xft2) might be a genuine bug (although I can not check
> without the X sources),

note that in debian, xft2 is packaged separately from xfree86. i don't remember
which packages are broken by the lack of flags in xft-config, though.

> while the others probably are not.  g++ should
> always add libstdc++ automatically for C++ programs.

in xfree86, the makefile calls gcc instead of g++ when it wants
to link glxinfo. glxinfo is a C program that links against a C++ library
(i think you've hit this one long ago, during the libio transition).

the pattern that seems to be repeating is:

  liba linked against libb
and
  progc linked against liba
imply:
  to link progc, you need -la and -lb on GNU, but only -la on other systems

--
Robert Millan