Re: Cross Installation

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 09:14:40AM +0530, Kapil Hari Paranjape wrote:
> 1. Debootstrap needs an updated list of packages that it must
> install. I don't know how such a list is generated but a possible such
> script (using grep-dctrl) was enclosed in my earlier message.

It has a list of packages hardcoded in.

Debootstrap gets routinely NMUd by a couple of people because of this.
Those people include the pbuilder maintainer and boot-floppies/
debian-installer/Progeny Graphical Installer maintainer among others.

If one changes stuff other than new/split base packages in unstable, one
should still ask the maintainer for permission, I've seen him get snappy
about this. Probably ask anyway or wait till NMUs get done by one of the
above teams.

> 4. Since the disribution is "sid", there are chances that the
> downloaded packages will not mesh. (As happened for me with adduser).

One can use debootstrap to bootstrap stable and testing as well.

> P.S. This was written before reading about Robert Millan's debootstrap
> patches. I'll read those now.

Unfortunately, the discussion rather trickled around the proper use of
the word 'GNU' instead of the technical merit of the patch...

Michael