Re: Cross Installation

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 09:14:40AM +0530, Kapil Hari Paranjape wrote:
> 1. Debootstrap needs an updated list of packages that it must
> install. I don't know how such a list is generated but a possible such
> script (using grep-dctrl) was enclosed in my earlier message.

Debootstrap includes such a list, it is maintained by the debootstrap
maintainer.  Naturally, there are a couple of packages different across
architectures.

> 2. Debootstrap cannot run "native" which means that something
> analogous to native-install needs to be run after re-booting and
> entering the GNU. Many packages can only be configured *after* that.

Of course it can run native, why shouldn't it?

You can not fully install the Hurd without actually running it, because
translators have to be installed for the system to be fully functional.

> 3. Debootstrap is meant for chroot so it does not create /etc/fstab
> entries or entries for grub to boot with.

To my understanding, debootstrap is for chroot and the debian-installer.  Of
course it doesn't create an fstab, that's the job for the debian-installer
program.  Debootstrap is not a complete replacement for the current
installation scripts, but one part.

> So while I certainly like to build things for myself, I must declare
> that the current method of downloading a tar.gz image from
> alpha.gnu.org *is* easier than any automated cross-installation
> procedure---certainly for those of lesser faith! With a little more
> faith and some extra effort Marcus' 3 scripts can be made to work...

There shouldn't be an automated cross installation, but a native installer
that you can boot from CD just like you can install GNU/Linux.  Cross
installation is a work around.

> Now, if only there was a user-mode-gnumach... We *could* combine the
> two and check these things without disurbing "real" work ;-)

Well, someone was acutally working on that, although it is a bit crazy.
It's certainly not something you would a normal user to do.  What is more
important for a normal user would be to install the GNU/Hurd without
changing the partition table (ie, install in a partition image or an
existing file system), and that is already supported (although barely
tested).

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/