Re: cp'ing passive translators

Neal H Walfield <neal@cs.uml.edu> writes:

> Sure, that is obvious.  I suggested in my original email that this
> functionality should be added to cp:
>
>         cp does not (yet) copy the Hurd attributes (e.g. the passive
>         translator settings).
>
> You said that this should not be made a part of cp.  My questions are:
>
> 1) What should `cp -R' do -- you are of two minds and did not explain
>    yourself?

cp -R should be more or less like on Linux.  However, keep in mind
that we really want the Right Thing to happen; cp -R is already a
mostly broken command.  cp -R is an attempt to do what tar should be
doing; I don't claim to have a perfect idea of exactly what the
semantics should be.

> 2) Instead of using cp, what utility should be written / modified to
>    copy passive translator settings?

Um, I don't know we really need one.  settrans and gettrans should be
fine.