Re: Bochs and the Hurd

On Sun, Sep 01, 2002 at 05:11:33PM +0200, Olivier Péningault wrote:
> The problem is that bochs considers that the 0x03c0 address is for the
> VGA card, in fact it's only a backward compability with EGA cards (if I
> remember well).

This is a very important register for VGA card programming.  You must use
it to select the palette entries to use for text mode.  This is relevant
if you want to use a palette different from the standard palette.

You also must use it to select some other features, like Line Graphics
Enable.  Very important for me, too.

I don't know if GNU Mach's use of it is important, but I will use it in the
VGA console client.  And, btw, the Linux kernel is using it as well.

It's not necessary for Bochs to emulate the PC perfectly.  But on the other
hand, it shouldn't panic unnecessarily when software does things its
programmer didn't expect (like probing for some obscure hardware at the
place where VGA cards usually have their registers).  Maybe they should
downgrade such things to warnings if there is reportedly real world software
hitting such conditions.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/