Re: Bochs and the Hurd

le dim 01-09-2002 à 10:44, Robert Millan a écrit :
> X works on Debian GNU/Linux, you can just import the debconf settings
> of xserver-xfree86 (NOT the XF86Config file please) from a configured image
> like http://khazad.dyndns.org/bochs/gnu-linux/
I saw tips to make X work with bochs for GNU/Linux, but I couldn't do
the same for GNU. Sometimes, there was a desktop window, but it crashed
after a few seconds.

> > I tried to install Debian GNU/Hurd H4 a few weeks ago, but the system
> > froze while trying to run native_install. :(
>
> That's one of the problems listed in the PROBLEMS file, it's caused by
> a limit in the number of translators there can be in /dev. The workaround
> is to exit in native-install and do the rest step by step. Don't think
> anything can be done untill we have GDB installed and working.
I never had this problem of 64 translators in /dev.
And I did a mistake. It's initial.sh (not native_install) which failed
while seting up GNU in bochs... I suspect the first "apt-get upgrade" to
freeze the system.

> why don't you just take my image? i spent lots of hours working around
> the mentioned problems just to get a semi-usable system with most of
> native-install run and all packages configured. please start from there
> and try to install GDB on it, i couldn't install it without breaking the
> filesystem last time i tried.
I spent too a lot of hours to set up GNU in bochs, and I only have a rtc
connection, so it's faster for me to install GNU by myself than
downloading...
And I think our images are equivalent.

> They happened with the lastest stable Bochs (1.4.1 at the time) and the latest
> (unstable) GNU. Did you find any of the problems fixed now? what about the
> GNU Mach issue, did you get a bochs panic when booting the default Mach?
Sometimes, when it doesn't work, I use the cvs version of bochs if
interesting features are announced on their mailing list. Did you try it
?
Whith the default GNUMach, there are two errors for me:
io read for address 0xO3c0 (VGA device error) after detecting the ppa,
and after 3c515 card detection, but they are not fatal (according to
Roland, one of the errors is due to the smc9194 ethernet driver which
probes this address). You can just type "cont" to continue the
simulation.
The problem is that bochs considers that the 0x03c0 address is for the
VGA card, in fact it's only a backward compability with EGA cards (if I
remember well).

> > image of a hurd system
>
> a GNU system
Oups !!! Sorry. :\

> the way to do that is using debootstrap. I've been working on porting it
> for a while (and i used my ported version to generate a GNU base tarball once).
>
> Unluckily, debootstrap is maintained so zealously by aj that all my attempts
> to get my patches applied have failed so far.
This is a political issue. Developping a working GNU image for bochs,
with a working debootstrap would give more weight to your patches (and
excuses for not integrating them would become very hard to understand).

> I'll port it again on middle september after my vacation. if aj doesn't
> find new excuses it will suposedly be fixed soon.
Ok. Mail me after your vacations, I'll explain you what I've done.

Regards,

Olivier

--
Computers are not intelligent.  They only think they are.