Re: About the login shell

On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 01:26:17PM -0500, Tom Hart wrote:

> That said, if the traditional UN*X permissions model could be exposed to
> the user by default (by such programs as ls and chmod), and the ugly ACL
> business could be taken care of behind the scenes, that would be nice.
> By providing the users with new tools and allowing them to set
> permissions in a more finely-grained fashion with ACL's, an ability not
> present in UN*X would be available in the GNU system. Are you suggesting
> that the Hurd should at some point move to ACL's (which, I assume, would
> be an in-the-future, low priority job)?

Yes. That'd be very nice, but low priority indeed.

> However, wouldn't it still be necessary to patch programs written for
> the traditional UN*X model so that they could see the ACL's, and respect
> the more fine-grained control when present?

Not much trouble. programs using access() should be ok and those checking
permissions without access() are broken. specific programs that
read/modify permissions might need fixing but there are few of those. am i
missing something?

--
Robert Millan

"5 years from now everyone will be running
free GNU on their 200 MIPS, 64M SPARCstation-5"

              Andrew S. Tanenbaum, 30 Jan 1992