Re: About the login shell

On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 12:18:27AM +0200, Moritz Schulte wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:
>
> > What about making the console a login shell by default, and on
> > remote connections a login prompt?
>
> I already found that comment in the list archive, but I still don't
> get it: why do you still want to make console access so insecure?
> What is the advantage?  (Beside that fact that such a mechanism
> wouln't be consistent).

Well, because if you need a secure console (eg, if the computer is
accessible in public), you need to take a lot of extra steps anyway to
secure the machine: You need to set a BIOS and GRUB password, for example.
So, it would make remote access more secure without inconveniencing the
local access.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/