Re: About the login shell

On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 11:28:07AM -0500, Tom Hart wrote:

> However, the only system I'm familiar with that uses them is Windows
> NT/2K/XP. In my experience, they actually make the system less secure,
> because they are much less intuitive to work with than the standard UN*X
> file permissions.

Never heard of it, thanks.

> I assume that the Hurd is sticking with the traditional UN*X model
> because most sysadmins who are used to UNIX will find this easier to
> work with. Furthermore, switching to an ACL-based model would probably
> break compatibility with traditional Unices, or at the very least,
> require a lot of work porting existing programs that depend on the UN*X
> security model.

why? UN*X permissions can be defined using ACLs can't they? that way the
users can choose between using an ACL subset that identifies UN*X perms
or more flexible combinations.

--
Robert Millan

"5 years from now everyone will be running
free GNU on their 200 MIPS, 64M SPARCstation-5"

              Andrew S. Tanenbaum, 30 Jan 1992