Re: mach is dead...isn't it?

No way! Mach still hasn't even hit its stride. It is designed
for massive multiprocessing scalability across thousands and
millions of nodes. Unfortunately Hurd hasn't advanced enough
yet for it to really go online. Theoretically Hurder's could
link their machines into one humongous supercomputer via the
internet.

AFAIK, L4 just doesn't have this capability. It is faster in a
uniprocessing scenario, but cannot scale in its current state.
The L4/Hurd project is just trying to leverage existing code
from Hurd so that they can have a native OS for their kernel.

Also, Hurd need not be tied to any particular one microkernel,
in fact the more the merrier. You could probably even make Hurd
run under Linux although it would be an extremely redundant
kind of thing to do.

- Doug