Re: apache and netcraft

* [Jeff Bailey]

> One thing that I've wanted to do for some time is rewrite pfinet (and
> I've been slugging my way through various parts of the code to learn
> the Best Way to do that for a year or so now).

This would be great.  (Even if it would ruin Marcus' "getting ipchains
for free" hack ;)

As a side note, I keep thinking that the Hurd could really use something
like Red Hat, hiring a lot of the greatest kernel hackers and paying
them to do kernel hacking.  I'm not sure if Hurd is ready for commercial
support quite yet, but it's getting there, and it would be sure to
accelerate a lot of stuff.

> I wonder what's the Right Way to handle that there could be competing
> IP stacks on the Hurd (potentially tuned for slightly different
> things).  They would each display different fingerprints.

I don't see how this would be that much different from the way
fingerprinters now deal with different versions of Linux.  (At least the
active ones can).  Things like nmap would say "GNU Hurd with the
{Bailey,Linux} stack", and Netcraft could just call them both "GNU
Hurd", just as they now say "Linux Kernel 2.4.0 - 2.4.18 (X86)"[1] and
"Linux".

But of course, I'm not the expert in this discussion..  :)

Oystein
[1] This, incidentally, is what nmap told me about my sparcstation just
now.  Not an exact science, it seems.
--
Nobody really reads these signatures anyway.