Re: apache and netcraft

On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 06:47:48PM +0200, Oystein Viggen wrote:

> If somebody with a good knowledge of TCP/IP would contact Netcraft,
> I'm sure they could be of help in figuring out some parameters that
> could be frobbed in pfinet to make the netcraft fingerprinter able
> to see a difference.

I've been studying Passive OS fingerprinting at work (for GNU Radar).
It generally works by observing bugs and quirks of the IP stack.

One thing that I've wanted to do for some time is rewrite pfinet (and
I've been slugging my way through various parts of the code to learn
the Best Way to do that for a year or so now).  I wonder what's the
Right Way to handle that there could be competing IP stacks on the
Hurd (potentially tuned for slightly different things).  They would
each display different fingerprints.

--
 One of the great things about books is sometimes
 there are some fantastic pictures.